What a whirlwind of a year! It seems like just yesterday we were opening the doors at Modlux Interiors. I am so excited to be celebrating this milestone with all of you. My friends and family encouraged this endeavour since day one, but the enthusiastic support of the community came as a wonderful surprise.
Thank you to everyone who celebrated our first anniversary with us on April 1st! We offered tea and cupcakes at the store in support of the Campbell River Hospital Foundation. Thanks to the generosity of everyone who donated, we raised $217.
• To the Campbell River Chamber of Commerce who nominated Modlux for the 2016 Business of Distinction Awards in two categories - Small Business of the Year (1-5 employees) and New Business of the Year (under 3 years). I was honoured to have been shortlisted for the Vancouver Island Top 20 under 40 Business and Community Achievement Awards and attended their fabulous gala on April 8th. It was enormously rewarding to be recognized and I am thankful to have been nominated amongst my peers.
• To my Mom, Sue, who joined the company in June of 2016 and has been an invaluable asset since. My mom comes from a business background and believed in my dream enough to leave her secure job at Quality Foods head office where she was the shipper/receiver for the Step Above department. She brought with her a vast knowledge of products, suppliers and company reps and is a friendly face in the store when I’m focused on design jobs. Whoever said you shouldn’t mix family with business hasn’t met my mom!
• To the non-profit organizations and individuals in our community who provide valuable services and assistance to those who need them the most. I’m a strong believer in giving back whenever I can, and am happy to have contributed items to the Campbell River Hospital Foundation, Balance Equestrian Therapeutic Riding, B.C Firefighter’s Burn Fund, Bra-gust, Ocean Pacific Marine Show, Habitat for Humanity, Festival of Trees, North Island Survivors Health Society - Trauma and abuse counselling centre, VIU Interior Design Fundraiser and the Campbell River Hospice Society for giveaways or silent auctions.
• A huge thank you to my clients, partners and contractors. From smaller scale residential consultations to complete commercial renovations, our first year was filled with creative design projects.
- Island Grind – Plans for permit under Martin Hagarty Architect Ltd and interior design
- Beach Fire Brewery – Completion of plans for permit under Martin Hagarty Architect Ltd
- Church Taphouse –Interior and exterior design under Thomas Dishlevoy Architecture Ltd – in progress
- Steve Marshall Ford – Interior design and furniture
- Campbell River Honda – Furniture
- Ambleside Townhomes – Presentation renderings for sales material
- HUB Insurance – Plans for permit
- 2 home designs for engineering, permit, and construction
- 41 residential projects in various stages of completion (ranging from small consultations to large renovations)
If you’re reading this… thank you. If you’ve shopped Modlux online, “liked” us on Facebook or stepped into the store, thank you for being a part of our progress. I am so proud of what Modlux has become, and a successful year in business wouldn’t have been possible without the incredible support of the community who welcomed us with open arms. Here’s to the future!
A Gift For You:
To thank you for your support, mention this blog post in store and receive 10% off an item of your choice. Browse the store using the virtual walkthrough below, captured by Evelyn Jane Photography.